Monday, January 26, 2009

Techno Hubbies

*WARNING* This post may result in marital issues, the release of bitter feelings, and hundreds of dollars of counseling.

I have come to realize something: My husband is distracted. No, he is not looking at other women. No, he is not at the golf course every day. No, he is not shining a brand new car.

My husband has a problem. Oh, he doesn't actually know he has a problem. In fact, the problem is that he thinks the problem is nothing but a non-problem. The men who are reading this are now totally confused. The women who are reading this are thinking, "ok, I'm with you, please carry on."

I should have seen the problem as the serious problem that it was in our first months of marriage. But no, I was blinded my newlywed-hood. I was in complete denial. But it started then. I began to notice that my new husband stayed up every night til almost midnight watching sports highlights and re-runs of M*A*S*H. I remember commenting rather casually, "I had no idea you liked sports so much... and haven't you already seen these M*A*S*H episodes?" The questions were mostly ignored and the marriage carried on.

It is now almost 12 years later. I should have nipped it in the bud way back when. Now I realize it is too late. It's not just sports highlights and re-runs anymore. If only it was that simple. Now it is sports, x-box, ipod touch, facebook, hockey pool, tribal wars (a game on the internet), and texting. The men who are reading this are still wondering what I am referring to. The women who are reading this are already 3 steps ahead of me yelling, "AMEN SISTER! I KNOW WHERE THIS IS GOING AND I'M WITH YOU!!"

Let me clarify. My husband has a condition called techo-distractia (I made that up). He is completely and utterly consumed with all things techno in our house. First thing in the morning it is the computer, then the sports highlights on tv, then a game or two on his ipod touch, then a text message to the guys he is working with, then out the door. Oh, goodbye honey. Nice to see you. Not sure if you noticed the 3 of us family members sitting at the table. Not sure if you heard the child screaming, the dog begging to go outside, the milk spilling or the wife (that is me) running around trying to do all things all at once.

Then he comes home at the end of the day. The kids have no clue he is home because he goes straight to the computer. I call for supper and the kids ask, "Aren't we going to wait for Daddy to get home before we eat?" I tell them that he's been home for an hour. They have no clue where he is.

After supper it's straight to the tv for the news and WHILE the news is going on, he is also playing a game on his ipod touch. I'm doing dishes, helping the kids with homework and trying to talk to him. No respose.

It's not that he's a jerk. He's actually the nicest guy in the world. He's not ignoring me. He simply has NO CLUE that there are people around him living lives. Heck, he doesn't know he is on planet earth for that matter. He is just a man consumed with the technology at his fingertips. Our home is a techno paradise! And he is feasting on it's bounty.

Bed time comes and he's on the computer. I whine about that so he eventually saunters to the bed. I put my book down hoping to chat a bit. I start talking but alas, I am faced with utter silence (which I have now termed "techno-silence"). Is he mad at me for asking him to come to bed? Is he praying, sleeping? No, he is on his ipod.

Many of you women out there can fully relate. It's like he's home, but not home. It's like you're together and yet you are totally alone. It's like you are annoyed and he has no foggy clue! A friend of mine who shall remain nameless told me a story. Her husband had just arrived home from a week long trip away. She got the kids in bed and couldn't wait to sit with him and hear all about his week. But she would spend that evening alone as he spent hours talking to other people on SKYPE. She kept waiting. He had no clue she was waiting. She figured that soon he would turn it off and talk to the real, live person sitting right beside him. Alas, she finally gave up. As she walked to the bedroom she said, "I'm going to bed." Not in the friendly, happy go lucky way. No. In the "I'm a pissed off wife and you better notice that" kind of way. He stopped what he was doing, looked at her and replied, "Oh really? Ok. Goodnight honey!"

Another friend of mine and I were discussing this issue in front of our husbands the other day. We were both commenting that if the men would come to bed, it might actually be worth it for them, if you know what I mean. Her husbands response was this: "Why would I come to bed? She know where the computer is... if she wants it she should just come and get me."

Is the techno-neglected wife inside of you steaming right now?

By the way, my husband is fully aware of this problem. I have talked to him openly about his disease... you know, techno-distractia. He is trying to fight it and frankly, some days are better than others. I have come to the conclusion that this is a life-long disease. Maintinance and pain relief is what we're going for now that I know that a cure is no where to be found. The closest thing to a cure that I have found is the offers to "put out". Although it is only a temporary fix, the results are immediate. But let's face it, there is no way he's going to get lucky that often!

Ladies, I think we need to start a support group! We are not alone in this battle and it's time for us to unite!! Better yet, leave your comments and tell me your techno-neglected wife stories!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it is my kids that will need to join your support group! Ed and I tend to go through cycles where we get a little OCD about a particuar piece of technology but thankfully we usually OCD together. Its that d*** quad that drives me up the wall...cuz I sure don't care to know how to work on that!

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine anyone knows what you're talking about. I personally have no clue! - Kenny writes from his iPod touch

missy said...

I've used the angle of pointing out the health risks of technology... you know, like "You're going to get testicular cancer from having your laptop on your lap so much"... or "do you know they've proven you can get finger arthritis from texting too much?" It doesn't work on Grant, this is a guy who would eat candy all day if I'd let him - a 4 year old in a grown man's body!!!

melnjayd said...

sadly I can relate to this but from the guy point of view. I wake up early and log on to see what is happening. I get home and jump on the computer to check out my favorite websites. Not having cable I look to news sites. And then only give a short time to my wife. It is a horrible disease that I too am trying to fight.

RevTrevK said...

I can admit that I am the "skype" wife story but what gets me the most is all of the FOOTBALL POOLS... Seriously - is it that interesting?? or am I that boring??
Lord Help us all

Priya said...

You must have written that article from my eyes.....thats my husband too. I like to say that he has mistresses - the xbox360, the WII, the DS, and now the Ipod - I am merely the wife, the one he spends the least amount of time with :))
You could start a support group and I would be one of the first to join! Thanks for making me smile about this horrible disease that my husband has, and one that my children will soon inherit.

Renice said...

Char your blog is so funny. I laughed, I cried. I feel like I can relate even though Mike doesn't have any video games. It really is hilarious. My most recent story was of us going out on a date for the first time in months and months and the whole drive (probably the good part of an hour) he spent on his phone which also connects to the internet. This was while he was driving and not noticing I was there with him on a date. I was so bugged. The date sucked and we haven't been back on another once since. He claims he was looking up directions. I guess the poor guys can't win, either we complain they don't ask directions or they do and we claim neglect. Oooh poor babies - yeah right. Women would have directions in hand before leaving the house so we could pay full attention to the moment

anyways, I loved the blog

RevTrevK said...

A husband's response:
I have 'heard' about this great post Char posted...and I have been steamed about it for a month. Now I am not saying us as men don't have a problem because we do.
But you girls are just as bad. I will give you a personal illustration. My wife is ADDICTED to Sudoku. Every spare second she is looking at that stupid book of #'s. What the heck is so fun about that??? I tried it to see if it was as cool as she had let on. NOPE it sucked. So I thought it was a cool little game but noooo she's addicted. Sits down to relax and she picks up the Sudoku. Goes to the bathroom to sit on the throne...Sudoku. Before bed, Sudoku! Yes fantasy football and fantasy hockey are that interesting and a hundred times better than solving #'s.
For you ladies who are doing the 'I don't do Sudoku' thoughts, you are probably addicted to Facebook (they have barred it from many business' all because of women who can't control themselves at work). It used to be blogging until facebook killed blogging. In the name of 'catching up' you think all that time is worth it? Now you are stalking your classmates or 'friends' pictures finding out who is single, married or it's complicated. Commenting who's fat or jealous about who's skinny.
Or it's your lame TV shows where you torture us with the Bachelor or the Bacholette or Dancing with the Stars or Big Brother or the Biggest Loser, this list can go on and on. If it's not Sudoku or Facebook it's READING. Yes reading is good for you but not that much reading. How many books a year are you going to read? It's unbelievable. Book after book, night after night.
So don't tell me that I have a problem without you looking in the mirror. Oh the girls have it so bad. Oh woe is me. Star a support group for the complaining wives...boohoo! Give it up girls you have been caught red handed. It's time to suck it up princesses!
At least we are watching real life in sports where people are competing and it's entertaining. Or talking to real people online with our video games (most of them are real friends who live far away can can't come over to play nor would their loving wives let them). Texting real people who text you back.
I know this post makes you feel better and that you're not the only one who suffers from neglect but maybe if you put down the book or the Sudoku or got off the computer stalking each other on facebook we could spend some quality time together in all ways.
PS Skype is a program where you actually interact with people, friends and family.
In saying all this, the way I feel in love with my wife was by talking to her and that is the way we will stay together. I look forward to my next conversation with her in the morning. Or the 5-10 times a day I talk to her on the phone at work or the facebook posts of love to her.