Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Reliving the 80's!

Oh man, this has been a very exciting 24 hours! I have re-connected with my teenage self. No joke! Let me explain...

For Christmas, Kenny used his money to buy an ipod Touch. I thought it was just a regular ipod with a screen. Nope. It's basically an iphone without the phone. He can get internet, e-mail, watch movies, etc on this thing. And of course, he can log in to itunes. That is a critical part of this story.

So last night I was annoyed because we were laying in bed and as I was trying to talk to him he was playing poker on his ipod touch. ARGGGG! I will write another post on how ANNOYING it is to have a husband who can't pull himself away from ipods, computers, tv's, video games, etc.

Anyway, after I let him know how brutal it was that he was not listening to me he decided the best thing to do in that moment was to defend his precious ipod. So he began to show me how wonderful it was. He took me to itunes (this is all happening in our bed) and started playing 80's music. Now I was interested. For those of you who don't know, I am a huge music buff and in my teen years (yes, I was a teenager in the 80's thank you very much) music ran my life. I loved it! Kenny started with some lame stuff that I wasn't really into. But before long I got a hold of that thing and we were listening to pure 80's brilliance...

Glory of Love - Peter Cetera
Heaven - Bryan Adams
Never Surrender - Corey Hart
Never Tear us Apart - INXS
You're the Inspiration - Chicago

HONESTLY PEOPLE... Can I hear an AMEN out there somewhere! This is CLASSIC 80's ballad material right here! I'm sure if someone were to listen to us outside of the confines of our bedroom they would have wondered...

"Oh, oh, oh, do you remember this one?"

"Here, give it to me, let me try to find something"

"Ok, guess what this is?"

"Ahhhhhh, ohhhhhh" (in unison)

Before long we were singing our hearts out to Phil Collins, Roxette, and Gloria Estevan and pretending to hold up lighters while gently swaying from side to side. At one point I could have sworn that I was in my childhood friend, Elina's basement having a sleepover, instead of being a 34 year old lady with her hubby of 12 years!

We were up way too late and I managed a mere 4 hours of sleep before I had to clean a house this morning. But I was no longer the same woman I had been 24 hours earlier. No. I ran to the computer and promptly made an 80's Ballad Playlist of my very own. I cleaned like I've never cleaned before while being inspired by "When I See You Smile" by Bad English!

Now, if I could only get my hands on a copy of Breathe's "Hands to Heaven" and "How Can I Fall"!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's so funny char...i totally didn't even know a single song you were talking about. Although in your defense I am not a music 'buff' at all:0)
Ed and I have been playing with our new laptop this evening with similar enthusiasm though...yay for technology....its good for the young and old alike....
lol

The Meier's said...

I love it! There are some sweet 80's tunes. I agree: love CHICAGO (inspriation and If you leave me now (i know that one is 1976 but still great) Bryan Adams..good ol' Gloria E. with CONGA!
glad you got some joy out of Kenny's new gadget. Darrin got an iphone as a christmas/early birthday present as I put his other phone through the wash..ahh..

Renice said...

funny char. My problem is that I can't remember the song until I hear it and then I'm flung back into my highschool days. I remember always skipping st the retro hour on much music and now it's funny and sad that the retro hour is "our" music.

p.s. Please DO write about how annoying it is going to bed with someone who had some gizmo that occupies them. I feel the same way about mike's phone and his solitaire. I'm sure I'd relate and get a good laugh.