Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Re-creating Myself

Ahhhh, the house is quiet. The children are not fighting or playing in any sort of annoying fashion. No, they are in school... monday to friday... all day long. Ahhhh.

As you can tell, I am not one of those moms who dread sending my kids to school. I don't mourn the fact that they are growing up. Rather, I celebrate it! I am so excited that my babies are now in grades 4 and 1. I think it's awesome how much they are growing and how independent they are. I feel like I am doing something right when I can send my kids off to school full of confidence and self-assuredness.

Oh yah, and I now get the house to myself. This is also a celebration for me. I love being alone as much as I love being with my kids. I enjoy days of grocery shopping sans kids and baking without hearing, "can I do that?". And then, I love it when 3:10 pm comes and I get to see my handsome boys once again and find out all the wonderful things they did in their day.

However, this fall is a bit different. Now that both boys are in school full time I get to re-create myself. I have been a full time stay at home mom for 9 years now. The only money I have made in these 9 years was a result of me taking care of other people's kids. Actually, that is not entirely true. I have been a certified doula for 4 years now... but that is more like a hobby to me!

Anyhow, now I feel ready to get a job... not one involving kids... but with actual adults. I have no clue what it is like to work beside adults all day. To talk adult talk. To leave my house and go to a job. I am ready for that. Maybe an office job. You know, something involving my anal organizational skills and geeky desire to do administration. Something where I can still be with the kids in the evenings and on weekends. Something part time so I can still have a few days at home to clean, grocery shop and do laundry.

I am also thinking about pastimes. What do I want to do in my spare time? Do I want to learn a new hobby? Do I want to try something new? Who the heck am I after all these years of thinking of everyone else but me?? I have no idea what I am interested in, what my hobbies are, or what my desires are. I put those on hold 9 years ago. Now it's time to find that stuff out again! So, I'm not sure what I will end up doing. But it's kind of cool after all these years to think about me again.

I'll let you know what I come up with! Until then, here are pic of the products of my last 9 years of working DANG HARD for no pay (the payoff of two handsome, amazing boys is well worth it)!!

First day of school!


How awesome they are!


The reason I have so much cleaning to do!

1 comment:

Renice said...

Hi Char, I'm excited for you and to see what you recreate yourself to be. SO fun. I hope you find a perfect job for yourself and that you find some amazing hobbies to tackle. Can't wait to hear about it