Thursday, March 12, 2009

Confessional

My writer's block ended the other day. It happened in an instant. It happened the instant one of my male friends (who happens to have a severe case of techno distractia) decided to unleash his negative feelings about my Techno Hubbies post. His claim is that, yes, men have issues with technology distracting them, but women also have distractions of their own. He mentioned things like Soduku, the Bachelor, and Facebook. However, his point was that us women think we are too perfect to ever admit that.

I disagree. I think we most certainly can admit it. And so, in an effort to show our distracted husbands that we can take the heat too, I have set up a blog confessional right here on my own blog. I will start the confessional.

I confess I do get distracted. I don't focus on my husband as much as I should. My main distraction is the need to do too many things in too few hours. In a single day I have dozens and dozens of things to think about and do. I run our house, our children's schedules and I run my own business. And I try to keep track of my husband all at the same time. These are all distractions that are not really distractions. They are more responsibilities that sometimes cause me to neglect my husband. I do admit that I give more attention to my kids than my husband sometimes.

Yes, I do tend to get distracted just a little. However, I also do have more selfish distractions... which is what my friend was alluding to I think.
1. I watch Ellen (although not after tomorrow when we will say good bye to our satellite) every day.
2. I sometimes watch Oprah if I like the topic.
3. I check facebook a few times a day. I don't stalk my childhood friends to see if they are fat, like my male friend suggested, but I do connect with my current friends and play a little scrabble.
4. If I talk on the phone to my sister, Elina, Sarah, Melissa, Sherri, or Priya I am distracted for a good hour or two.
5. I watch 24, House, Survivor, and CSI (although Kenny is watching with me so that doesn't really count).
6. I read one chapter of my book a day... one chapter... I am too tired to do more!
7. I blog. But you all know how infrequently that happens! Maybe twice a month!

There. That is my confession. Let's all prove my bitter friend wrong. Let's evaluate our distractions and confess them right here on my blog! Leave a note with your deep, dark, distractia secrets!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So as I have mentioned before I do suffer from techno distractia.
(I have now written this note about 3 times and then accidentally deleted it so I am going point form on this confession)

1. Techno gadgetry/photo editing ext
2. Managing kids often come before Ed
3. Reading can but I usually don't open my book until everyone is asleep

TV and video games are a family affair here so it really is mostly is the techno distractia that gets me and Ed. ( Although right now he has a rubic's cube)

I think we all need a few distractions. It may be that women also need a little more interaction and in my case some adult conversation!!!!

Priya said...

Alright, I will confess my distractions as I do have many of them.
1. I like to watch the news - especially the weather ( I know, wierd)
2. The computer - my email; I do get lots of email being on the board for the community league, dayhome, norwex, and then the general stuff.
3. On the computer I get distracted with facebook (scrabble and now Farkle - thanks for that:)), and the people.com site as well as few parenting sites I like to lurk at.
4. The phone - I like to talk on the phone
5. A good book - sometimes I turn on the TV for my kids so that I can read my book. (Thats bad, isn't it?)

I don't think there is anything wrong with distractions as long as it doesnt take away from the priorities in your life!

Renice said...

Hey Char, sorry it took so long to comment. I liked this post of yours. A couple of my distractions are:

1. my sewing
2. the amazing race, survivor, lost...
3. blogging and checking other people's blogs (yours included)
4. the kids, but that's a given

those are the main ones. My poor husband and house always suffer when I have a big event coming up. Which reminds me I really need to clean the house, and maybe, just maybe I should think about what to feed the family tonight