Thursday, July 10, 2008

Hello World

Hello? Is anybody there? Is it just me or has it been a really long time since I blogged???

First things first. I am sleeping. Yes, by mid-June when I had gone a full month without a decent night of sleep (many nights awake all night long) Kenny made the declaration, "That's it, you need to take these sleeping pills until someone can find you a solution. This is no way to live"! I agreed. So I started taking one every night. And I started sleeping every single night. Pure bliss... even if it is drug induced! From there I went back to the doctor which resulted in: more blood work, an ECG (all normal), an abdominal ultrasound (no tumors), a new batch of sleeping pills, and a referral to a sleep clinic. Next I went to a counsellor who happens to know all about my problem since she suffered from insomnia for 8 YEARS!!! I thought I had it rough! She reminded me that it is not up to me to solve this problem but up to my doctors. She put my mind at ease about using the sleeping pills and assured me that I would be able to get myself off of them. Then I went to the naturopath. She put me on a no yeast, sugar or dairy diet for 30 days (I'm on day 9 and I hate it). She also gave me potent herbs to take as well as some other supplements and a good kick of acidopholis every day. I am a walking herb! I have discovered hemp hearts which give me more energy than anything else I have ever used! They are soooo healthy! I have learned that soy milk is not quite as disgusting as I always thought (although I'll take a nice glass of cow's milk any day). I also learned how addicted to sugar my body (and yours too) is. Honestly, I am not a sweets person and I don't eat a lot of sugary things. But EVERYTHING has sugar in it! The first day of my diet I had a migrane so bad that I started puking. No joke! Now I feel fine. But those Godiva Chocolates sitting on my dresser have been calling to me. I have yet to answer them! And the best news of all, I am now down to 1/2 a sleeping pill per night. That is progress! I really hope I can get back on track before I have to go to the dreaded sleep clinic. Not my idea of fun!

Second, I survived the move. Our weather decided to finally be hot... 40 degrees hot for our move. Nice. But it all went smoothly thanks to the help of my parents and Kenny's co-workers as well as an Enderby family we are very close to. The worst part about the move was the people living in this house before us didn't clean a thing. The fridge was gooped with guck, the walls were covered in fingerprints and boogers (yes, I scraped someone else's boogers off the wall), and the toilets were layered with urine and poo stains. I was not impressed. How disgusting! Oh yah, and they left so much of their junk here that we had to do a dump run to get rid of it all. Just so inconsiderate. But we prevailed and actually began renovations 2 days into our move! With boxes still everywhere Kenny started punching out the wall in our living/kitchen area. I started painting too. We figured, if it's going to be chaotic in the house with unpacking, might as well make all the reno mess at the same time. Insane, I know.

Third, my life has drastically changed in the last month. A new house, a totally new community, a new diet (ugh), kids out of school... new, new, new. I have enjoyed exploring our neighbourhood, hanging out with new friends, and making this house into what we want it to be.

Here are a couple of quick pics of our life lately. More pics will be on facebook (since this takes forever to load them on here). Enjoy!

ps: we all have tried the biddet. It works. It tickles. It is weird. But it sure saves on toiletpaper!

Ethan's ready to go!


Grampa's special moving helper!


Kenny destroying the wall between the dining room and the living room


Ethan helping me paint the 2 walls in the living room that are not being destroyed by Kenny


Brayden destroying the wall between the kitchen and the living room


Our bedroom painted


The living room colour. We will also be doing new rock work on the fireplace and new carpet


Here is the new look of the wall between the kitchen/ dining and living room. Not quite done yet though.


This is how it looks from the kitchen. Much more open. Also not done yet.

4 comments:

The Meier's said...

HEY! Welcome back to blogger world. I have been waiting paitently ok sometimes NOT so paitently for you to write something new. Glad you are sleeping again sorry to hear you have had to go through so much to get to this point.
Love the new house wish we could see it in person. Sorry we werent able to see you guys while we were in the Okanagan..hopefully next time.

missy said...

Oh Char, I love your place!! I especially love the paint colors you picked - I'm going to have to use that green somewhere... I'm glad you're getting this sleep thing figured out, that's enough to drive a person insane. Happy renovating!!

Renice said...

Hi Char, Thanks for the update. I really like the colors you chose, they're great. The place is looking really nice. You are a bit crazy for doing move in and renos at the same time. I can't imagine, although it is the perfect time.

Happy to hear that you're getting some sleep, must feel so nice. The no sugar diet is tough, I had gestational diabetes with Kalea and only then did I learn that sugar is in everything as you say. I felt like I couldnt' eat anything. But I hope it helps and that you get your sleeping right back on track

Peanut said...

Hi Charlene,
I found you through Rebecca's blog. You might recognize me if you click through to my blog. I'm paranoid though, so I use aliases. My dad used to pastor with Kenny in Armstrong. That should help you figure me out :)
Sorry to hear about your sleeping issues. It's amazing how much it can affect us. I know because my son refuses to let me sleep and I often feel like I'm going to lose it!
I'm enjoying your writing, so I'll be back for more :)