Thursday, April 03, 2008

Spring

I think it's safe to say that spring has finally come. I have been afraid to say it up until this point since winter didn't want to leave us this year! Typically I look forward to mid February when the snow stops falling from the sky, the snow on the ground starts melting and temperatures rise above 0. This year in mid February I was watching the snow fall day after day with no hope of letting up. When March hit we still found ourselves in below 0 temperatures and snow... falling... from the sky! Oh sure, we'd have our warm days, but then the sky would laugh at me and dump another inch or two of snow. I was not laughing.

So now it is April and I think spring is here. I have been looking at buds on the trees for almost a month already but with the continual snow fall I knew they wouldn't get very far. Now they are starting to open up and the temperatures are above 10... even mid teens for the weekend! Could winter finally be over?

Today I sat on our deck and read for a bit. It was so warm and amazingly peaceful out here in the country. However, my thoughts went back to 12 months ago. Last year in the first week of April this is what we were doing...



Yes, it was April 6th and it was about 30 degrees that day! We went to the beach here in Enderby and basked in the sun all day. Can you believe it is now the first week of April again and I am still watching snow melting on our yard?? No joke! Ethan's strawberry plants are covered in a thick layer of ice and snow and I still can't get the Christmas lights off the trees outside due to electrical cords trapped beneath layers of ice and snow!

I can just sit on our deck and dream of the beach and hope that one day soon (I think it will finally come soon) I will be on that very beach... with no snow around me!

1 comment:

Renice said...

I agree Char, even here on the lower mainland winter seems to be sticking around although not like at your place - we don't have snow. But it's so nice to see trees and plants blooming and springing to life. Such a nice time of year.